For many, Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate important women in our lives and the blessing from God that they represent.
While not technically a Catholic or Christian holiday at its core, Mother’s Day is still an important day of prayer and reflection for many, recognizing not only the gift of Mary to the Church, but the gift of mothers and motherlike figures in our lives. Mother’s Day also falls during the Month of Mary, which the Church has recognized for centuries, turning to Our Lady as a guide to better know and love her Son, Jesus.
To assist those seeking to make their observance of Mother’s Day particularly prayerful, Hallow has assembled a number of Mother’s Day prayers and prayer resources.
Hallow also recognizes that Mother’s Day can be a challenging time for many. Our prayers are with those struggling with fertility issues, those who have recently lost their mothers, those who might not have the best relationship with their family or any others for whom it’s a difficult or traumatic day.
Simple Prayers for Mother’s Day
- Heavenly Father, I lift up to you today my mother and all mothers. Bless them with strength to continue to care for their children, with the same bold, selflessness Mary showed Jesus. Help my mother and all mothers feel our gratitude and truly know their impact. May we honor them today and on all days as vessels of Your love. In Your name I pray. Amen.
- God, today, we celebrate mothers, but the truth is, we ought to celebrate them every day. Their love manifests in small, subtle ways each day–in the mundane that sometimes we can take for granted. We thank you for their sacrificial love and ask you to uplift them today. Thank you for the gift they are in our lives. In Your name we pray. Amen.
- When our mothers are tired, Lord, give them strength. When they feel alone, give them comfort. When they feel overwhelmed with the challenges of parenting, help them to know peace. In their darkest moments, be their Light. At times in our lives, our mothers are everything to us, meeting our every need. We ask You to provide them today with whatever gift they need. In gratitude, we pray. Amen.
- Mary, full of grace, I ask for your intercession today for my earthly mother. Pray for her, and pray that her example of love draws me closer to Your son, not only on Mother’s Day but on all days. Amen.
Mother’s Day is a great time to consider drawing closer to Mary and spending time in prayer asking for her intercession.
The Hail Mary is an easy way to invite Mary into your Mother’s Day celebration, and you can also consider praying the Rosary.
Perhaps you also consider learning more about the Marian Consecration, a lifelong commitment to Mary that takes place over 33 days.
Also, learn more about the Mary, Undoer of Knots Novena, which is inspired by Mary interceding at the wedding at Cana, asking for Jesus’s help. She can help us untangle the knots in our life the way she helped the wedding hosts emerge from their difficult situation.
Intercessory Prayers for Mother’s Day
If you’ve been tasked with writing intercessory prayers (prayers of the faithful) for Mass on Mother’s Day, allow Hallow to help.
Here a few simple Mother’s Day prayers suitable for most prayers of the faithful:
- For all mothers, grandmothers, step-mothers and motherlike figures in our lives, may God bless them abundantly, we pray to the Lord,
- For all those longing to be mothers, may You console them through their hard times and bless them with the gift of conception. We pray to the Lord,
- That government leaders make good decisions to support mothers at all stages of motherhood, we pray to the Lord,
- May we be inspired by Mary our Mother to journey with Jesus, in good times and in challenging times, we pray to the Lord,
Mother’s Day Bible Verses
The Bible celebrates motherhood in numerous places.
Certainly, there are beautiful passages related to Mary that are worth revisiting on Mother’s Day or any day, but there are other verses in Scripture relating to mothers worth reflecting on:
- Isaiah 66:13 “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you;”
- Psalm 22:10-11 “For you drew me forth from the womb, made me safe at my mother’s breasts. Upon you I was thrust from the womb; since my mother bore me you are my God.”
- Proverbs 1:8-9 “Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and reject not your mother’s teaching; A graceful diadem will they be for your head; a pendant for your neck.”
- Morning Prayers
- Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God
- Seven Sorrows Rosary
- Our Lady of Guadalupe
- St. Thérèse Novena