Table of Contents
- Christmas Eve Morning Prayers
- Short Christmas Eve Prayers
- Bible Verses for Christmas Eve
- Christmas Eve Dinner Prayers
- Prayers to Fall Asleep on Christmas Eve
- More Christmas Resources
At Hallow, we’re passionate about helping you find peace and draw closer to God every day.
On Christmas Eve, that can feel a little bit more difficult than on many of the other 365 days of the year.
Let Hallow help guide your Christmas Eve with these prayers, which you can use when you wake up, during your busy day or to help fall asleep at night.
Christmas Eve Morning Prayer
The waiting and anticipation for Christmas is spans all of Advent but is especially pronounced on the morning of Christmas Eve.
Just one more sleep until Christmas Day.
Begin Christmas Eve with some morning prayers to help keep you centered during what often is a busy day:
- God, as we await Your coming, may today be filled with peace and free of any distractions that lead my heart away from You.
- On this Christmas Eve be with me and all my loved ones, Lord. Let me be present in each moment today, my eyes open to signs of Your love all around me.
- (For Kids) God, thank You for my day today. Thanks for my family who love me and thanks most of all the gift of Jesus.
Short Christmas Eve Prayer
Let’s face it: Christmas Eve can be busy. Some combination of meals, Mass, gift wrapping and calls to relatives can make December 24 a whirlwind.
The moment to take time for prayer may come when you don’t expect it. When you find yourself with a few moments to spend in prayer, consider these simple Christmas Eve prayers:
- “Heavenly Father, we thank You for this day and the many blessings You’ve given us. Grant us a restful night of sleep as we await the celebration of the birth of Your Son, Jesus. Amen.”
- “Dear God, we know that the greatest gift we ever receive is Jesus. May we remember that tomorrow, and may any presents under the tree remind us of our life’s biggest blessing. Amen.”
- “God, this is the moment history changed–when Jesus became man and entered our world. As we look ahead to tomorrow, we pray that our day celebrates Your love for us.”
Christmas Eve Bible Verses
There are so many rich Bible passages that tell the story of the birth of Jesus. As we say in Hallow’s Advent #Pray25 Challenge feat. the Chosen, the promise of Jesus’s birth plays out across the entire Bible.
Some of those portions of Scripture include:
- Isaiah Chapter 7
- Isaiah Chapter 9
- Luke Chapter 2
- Matthew Chapter 2
If you’re looking for some Bible verses before bed, here are some short verses that you can reflect as you get to sleep:
- “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.” Psalm 23:1-3
- Proverbs 3:24-26 “If you sit down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Do not be afraid of sudden panic, or of the storm that strikes the wicked; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.”
Christmas Eve Dinner Prayers
Many families enjoy the tradition of a special meal together on Christmas Eve. The Italian custom of “Feast of 7 Fishes” is just one example of a Christmas Eve dinner that holds a special place for many.
It’s always good to give thanks for meals. On Christmas Eve, perhaps with a larger audience, hosts may not always know the exact words to say. Christmas Eve dinner prayers need not be long. Short words of gratitude like the following work just fine:
- Heavenly Father, as we prepare to celebrate the birth of Your Son, may this meal we share remind us of the many gifts and blessings You give us each day. Amen.
- God, we ask You to bless this meal and everyone at this table. Despite what will be under the tree in the morning, may this meal remind us that some of the most precious gifts we have come from those who show us Your love. In Jesus’s name, we pray. Amen.
How to Fall Asleep Fast on Christmas Eve with Prayers
Whether you’re reflecting on Bible verses or lying awake in bed, it can be a challenge to fall asleep quickly on Christmas Eve, regardless of age!
Children can be too excited to settle in quickly for sleep. Adults might be busy with last-minute prep for Christmas Day or struggle with feelings of stress or anxiety. The sadness of missing lost loved ones can also cause our minds to remain unsettled as we try to sleep.
Prayer and meditation can help people of all ages get to bed more easily on Christmas Eve. Consider short words that you can easily repeat until you doze:
- Come, Holy Spirit
- Holy Spirit, help me to be patient
- Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
Hallow also offers a number of other prayers for sleep, and the app features Bible bedtime stories from the likes of Fr. Mike Schmitz (from Bible in a Year), Chenele Shaw, Matt Fradd, Lila Rose and more. These longer meditations can help you peacefully ease into rest.