Father’s Day is a beautiful day on which we celebrate our fathers, grandfathers, and the father figures in our lives. Though not officially a Christian celebration, Father’s Day is annually celebrated on the third Sunday in June and offers a time for reflection, expression of gratitude, and prayer for our fathers.
God took the strength of a mountain, the majesty of a tree, the warmth of a summer sun, the calm of a quiet sea, the generous soul of nature, the comforting arm of night, the wisdom of the ages, the power of the eagle’s flight, the joy of a morning in spring, the faith of a mustard seed, the patience of eternity, the depth of a family need, then God combined these qualities, when there was nothing more to add, He knew His masterpiece was complete, and so, He called it … Dad.Author Unknown
Table of Contents
- Simple prayers for Father’s Day
- Short gratitudes and blessings for dads
- Scripture for Father’s Day
- St. Joseph-inspired prayers
- Intercession Prayers for Father’s Day
- More prayers
Simple prayers for Father’s Day
- Lord, thank you for my father, for his sacrifices and his love for me. Amen.
- When our dads are tired, overwhelmed, or feeling weak, Lord give them the strength to continue loving and working. Lord, give them the courage to stand strong. Lord, give them the anchor of Your Way. In your name, I pray, Amen.
- Dear God, thank you for the gift of fatherhood. We pray for all fathers and those hoping to become fathers. May You give them the strength to be a vessel of Your love. Amen.
- St. Joseph the Worker, you cared for Jesus in His time on earth. I ask for your intercession today for my father, to pray beside him and for him. Amen.
- Heavenly Father, bless our fathers today and every day. Amen.
- Dear God, we pray for all of the fathers who live in our memory. May they have eternal rest in Your peace. Amen.
Short gratitudes and blessings for dads
- Dad, I’m so grateful for everything you do for me and others that goes known and unknown. Thank you for your care and your strength.
- Dad, thank you for your guidance in life’s daily and longer challenges.
- Dad, thank you for your leading me to what is right while trusting me to make my own path.
- Dad, thank you for your patience in answering my many questions.
- Dad, thank you for being our rock and for standing firm in everything life brings.
- May His light shine on you today and every day.
- May you feel loved today on Father’s Day and furthermore.
Scripture for Father’s Day
In addition to the many passages on God as the Father, the Bible is filled with stories of fathers and short verses on fatherhood to inspire and lead. A few of the stories, or parables, include:
- Joseph, the foster father of Jesus — Matthew 18
- Parable of the Prodigal Son — Luke 15:11–32
- Noah and the Ark — Genesis 6
- Abraham and Isaac — Genesis 22, Genesis 18
And among the many shorter verses, here are a few for your Father’s Day prayers or messages:
- Psalm 103:13 “As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him.”
- Psalm 32:7-8 “You are my shelter; you guard me from distress; with joyful shouts of deliverance you surround me.”
- Isaiah 40:31 They that hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on eagles’ wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.”
- Psalm 127: 3-5 “Certainly sons are a gift from the Lord, the fruit of the womb, a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the sons born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man who has filled his quiver with them. He will never be shamed for he will destroy his foes at the gate.”
- 1 Corinthians 16:13 “Be on your guard, stand firm in the faith, be courageous, be strong.”
St. Joseph-inspired prayers
Pray alongside St. Joseph, the foster father of Jesus, on Father’s Day with the Litany of St. Joseph, or you could even begin the St. Joseph the Worker Novena or the 21-Day Consecration to Jesus through St. Joseph.
Intercession prayers for Father’s Day
If you’ve been tasked with writing intercessory prayers (prayers of the faithful) for Mass on Father’s Day, allow Hallow to help. Here are a few simple Father’s Day prayers suitable for most prayers of the faithful:
- For all fathers, grandfathers, step-fathers, and fatherlike figures in our lives, may God bless them abundantly, we pray to the Lord,
- For all the fathers who have passed, may we hold them in our memory and in our hearts and honor them today, we pray to the Lord,
- For all those longing to become fathers, may You guide them through this hard time, we pray to the Lord,
- St. Joseph, may you intercede in the lives of all fathers struggling, and may you pray for them to draw near to God the Father, we pray to the Lord,